Saturday, December 23, 2006

A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence. ~Leopold Stokowski
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ~Berthold Auerbach
If the King loves music, it is well with the land. ~Mencius
Take a music bath once or twice a week for a few seasons. You will find it is to the soul what a water bath is to the body. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes
If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music. ~Gustav Mahler
Why waste money on psychotherapy when you can listen to the B Minor Mass? ~Michael Torke
He who sings scares away his woes. ~Cervantes
Were it not for music, we might in these days say, the Beautiful is dead. ~Benjamin Disraeli
Music is what feelings sound like. ~Author Unknown
In Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary from 1913 we find the following definition of music:
Music Mu"sic, n. F. musique, fr. L. musica, Gr. ? (sc. ?), any art over which the Muses presided, especially music, lyric poetry set and sung to music, fr. ? belonging to Muses or fine arts, fr. ? Muse.
The science and the art of tones, or musical sounds, i. e., sounds of higher or lower pitch, begotten of uniform and synchronous vibrations, as of a string at various degrees of tension; the science of harmonical tones which treats of the principles of harmony, or the properties, dependences, and relations of tones to each other; the art of combining tones in a manner to please the ear.Note: Not all sounds are tones. Sounds may be unmusical and yet please the ear. Music deals with tones, and with no other sounds.
(a) Melody; a rhythmical and otherwise agreeable succession of tones.
(b) Harmony; an accordant combination of simultaneous tones.
The written and printed notation of a musical composition; the score.
Love of music; capacity of enjoying music.
(Zo"ol.) A more or less musical sound made by many of the lower animals.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY!! Not only did you update, but I get to be the first to post, and I get to do it on Christmas Day!
Mark

Jolynn B said...

Yup! I updated! :D

Jolynn B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your post! Also, the song! I had played that one awhile back, but never heard it other than on the piano while I was playing... :)

Kaylene said...

I love that painting....

Jolynn B said...

Hello, Carly! I am working on memorizing this piece(Arabesque) for spring recital. I am have enjoyed playing it.

Amy said...

Some good quotes there! I know, it's the middle of the night and I couldn't go back to sleep since I'm leaving here in a bit anyway.

Kaylene said...

you really, REALLY need to update, sis!!!

Kaylene said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Happy B-day